RE: Comfort Wiring

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Comfort Wiring
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:06:51 +0100

None for audio or composite video but if you use it for S-Video, Component or RGB Video the leads must all be EXACTLY the same length (within a few millimetres)

Electricity travels at 186000 miles per second and takes a finite time to reach the other end of the cable, if you are using S-Video and the two cables are different lengths then the brightness and colour information will arrive at slightly different times. The effect of this will be that the colour will be either to the left or right of the image detail like a badly printed newspaper.

With RGB, the colours will arrive at different times and you will get fringing as if the monitor was out of convergence giving the following effect with a white object assuming the blue is delayed (exagerated for clarity)

Should be                    Will get              Extreme case
WWWWW               YWWWWB           YYYYY BBBBB
WWWWW               YWWWWB           YYYYY BBBBB
WWWWW               YWWWWB           YYYYY BBBBB
WWWWW               YWWWWB           YYYYY BBBBB

giving a yellow fringe to the left and a blue fringe to the right

I have seen this on a LCD projector when one of the cores in a multicore went faulty and they ran a seperate but longer cable for the red. As a quick workround I swapped a couple of leads over so the RGB signals were the same length but the Sync was longer. That shifts the whole image sideways but the colours still line up.

Hope that helps

Keith