Re: Newbie Question Time

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 08:59 am, Tony Lucas wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just picked up a 'Home Control' kit, which basically has a cm12u
> and a lamp and appliance module to it.
>
> I've tried with HomeSeer, and the default program with it, and neither
> can detect the cm12u, which is connected on com2.
>
> The only complication is, Im running Windows 98, through a VMWare
> session on Redhat 7.1, Im wondering if that might be causing the
> problems.
>
> Anyone any ideas?, Id much appreciate them.

I've never used vmware, so this is only a guess, but what you describe
sounds
like it may be the problem.

You could try something like Wine as another way of trying to run homeseer,
or you could try one of the Linux HA controllers. I use a program called
Misterhouse for mine. It's written in Perl, and if you can manage a little
perl yourself it's easy to configure.

Check it out at http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/
and have a look at my
rough guide to setting it up at http://www.smgsystems.co.uk/ha/