RE: Action Pack

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Action Pack
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:03:41 +0100

The main thrust got lost. I was told by a Microsoft employee that I should
get hold of one because I support around a dozen users.

> My position with this is very much like my position with counterfeit
> goods.. If you know what you are buying, and there is no "passing
off"
> being done, then hey....
>
> I have a really neat looking Tag Heur watch, which cost ?12. :) I know
> it's fake, it was sold as such, no foul, no harm.

I've got a Breitling which I'm sure looks neater, but it cost a whole lot
more than that. Its real, but its grey market, so I did save a bundle.
Breitling in the UK even fixed a minor problem under warranty even though
there was no stamp in the warranty book, and they KNEW it is a grey market
watch!

> But if people thought they were getting legit software by this route,
> they are not. It's the same as buying the student licence because you
> attend the "university of life" or some such nonsense.
>
> If people are happy to use this blag to get software, hey, it's a lot
of
> software for not a lot of cash, but don't think it's legal, because
> unless you are an IT supplier (computer contractors *do* count btw)
you
> don't qualify, and the licence is worthless.

Actually Ian, I do qualify. You must be reading a license for a different
product:

"Restriction. You acknowledge that the Subscription is restricted to
resellers, consultants, VARs, value-added providers, system integrators,
developers, system builders, hosts, service providers or IT professionals
who sell Microsoft products or provide solutions based on Microsoft
products
and technologies to third-party customers, and whose Subscription
applications have been submitted to Microsoft as specified in this
Agreement
and accepted by Microsoft. By submitting your application and accepting the
Subscription you warrant that you meet the criteria to receive the
Subscription."

I have as a "consultant" supplied several systems this year based
on
Microsoft products. The fact that I haven't charged for my services is
irrelevant. There's no revenue restriction or otherwise. Perhaps this is
why
the MS support team suggested it to me in the first place.

Tim.