RE: Action Pack

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Action Pack
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:23:16 +0100

I tried Linux, I got lots of support from some experts on this group, I
failed to connect the machine to my LAN or the internet. After several days
of struggling I gave up. The truth is that although MS software is bloated
and full of bugs, I am used to it now. As long as I keep up with the
upgrades and new versions, it will always be less of a learning curve than
for me to pick up a new operating system or new software.

I honestly believe that Linux would be a better operating system, but I
couldn't possibly sell that to a client. Likewise it would be cheaper for
me
to use PHP in place of ASP and MySQL in place of SQL Server, but I know the
MS products and I don't see the point in taking time out to learn something
else when there is so little demand for it.

In my experience the client is looking for a business solution, they will
often not be at all interested in which off the shelf software is use to
implement it, but where they are interested it is almost always MS they
want. Like it or not, MS is here to stay and the majority of us in the
'Solution Provider' market will sell more MS based solutions than anything
else.

Regards

Graham