RE: Action Pack

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Action Pack
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:14:05 +0100

Microsoft,
> then it's no more legal than a fully pirated copy.
>
> Ian "Guess who just had to read up on MS licences to renew their
> Authorised Education Reseller status" Lowe

Ian,

While I do agree with you, it was actually MS who told me to go for the
thing in the frist place! I, like I'm sure many others on the list, tend to
support friends informally whenever their computers go "tits-up".

In the last twelve months I've either built or configured over a dozen PCs,
and only two of them are mine!

It just so happens that I've got a Windows 2000 incident with the OS
support
people at the moment. While I was registering the incident in the first
place, it just so happened that two different people came through on one of
my other lines to ask PC support questions, and at that time the chap on
the
other end kindly pointed me in the right direction.

I did mention that I don't technically run a business (not in the software
industry anyway), but he was adamant that the product would be suitable for
people like me.

As you'll no doubt remember from previous discussions regarding
"theft" on
the list, I do have a bee in my bonnet about piracy, and in this case, yes
am breaking the letter of the law.

In terms of the spirit though, I feel morally comfortable with my decision,
and I'm sure I will be renewing the "subscription", as that is
what you are
buying now, in 12 months time. I don't know what the view of the MS
"piracy
police" would be. I suppose in this case it is a little like copying
CDs for
your own use. Technically it is naughty, but I frequently make copies of
CDs
I own for use in the car.

Perhaps my main crime, is posting details on the list for all and
sundry....

Tim.