Re: I said I wouldn't...

> Some time back (on this topic) someone mentioned taking the LCD
display
>from
> a laptop and using it as a picture.  How would you do this in terms of
> connectors and power?

If you unscrew the panel (usually 4 screws behind decorative touches), then
you'll find an LCD panel/lightbox about 4mm thick inside.  This is
connected
to the laptop via a ribbon-style cable.  Unscrewing/tabbing the back of the
lightbox, you'll find inside a few bits of shiny plastic, two bulbs (long
thin things at top and bottom), and an LCD panel.

They're really very simple, but you may need to extend the ribbon cables
and
I'm not sure how the screen would resond to that.  Obviously if you want to
use a desktop/server, you'll have to dismantle a TFT monitor, but I expect
they're pretty similar inside.  FYI, a 14" TFT screen is now under
£200 at
PC World.

HTH,
Andy