From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 October 2001 09:47
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Winamp script?

AHA!

Yes, I've seen this happen many times.  It happened to me the first time I
upgraded Homeseer AFTER I'd installed the VB helper service...

What I think is hapenning is that every time you upgrade Homeseer
(including

by just dropping in a new homeseer.exe file with a newer build), the COM
registrations get all mucked up and the VB helper service cannot find the
COM interface for Homeseer...

I'm sure there must be an easier way, but so far the only way I have found
to cure this is to open up the VB source code in the VB dev environment,
and

then remove and re-add the reference to the homeseer object, then
recompiling the EXE.

I mentioned this problem to Rich Helmke, and he modified the Homeseer
version numbering to attempt to prevent this hapenning every time a new
build of the Homeseer.exe file came out, (hence he now uses a
"build" number

instead of incrementing the version number every time), but I don't think
it

has actually had the desired effect...

If you have access to the VB6 dev environment, try opening up the .VBP
file,

then open the Object browser, then select "references" from the
"project"
menu. In the list of available references you will see an item for
Homeseer,

which will be ticked. Untick it, then press the "browse" button,
and browse
to and select your homeseer.exe file. "OK" that, then make a new
.EXE file.
I think that should resolve this problem, - it always has for me.

Of course, if you don't have access to the VB dev environment, then you're

bit stuffed! - let me know *exactly* what version (and build no if
applicable) of the homeseer.exe file you're using, ad I'll compile a
version

for you. - but of course, every time you upgrade Homeseer the same problem
will arise again....

Does anyone know if my deduction above re the COM class registrations is
correct, and if so, is there an easier way to correct it? - you may have
deduced that I'm not a developer by trade! - I'm still learning this stuff!

Paul G.

>From: Pedro de Oliveira <oliveirp@xxxxxxx>
>To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Winamp script?
>Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:27:29 +0100
>
>Hi Paul
>
>I unzipped the files to their respective directories as mentioned in
>your help file included in the zip file.  The problem is that nothing
>seems to work - the helper gives an error "Run time error 430:
Class
>does not support Automation or does not support expected
interface".