Re: CAT5 Cabling - Heeellpp

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CAT5 Cabling - Heeellpp
  • From: ian@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:30:41 -0000

Hi
When you plugged your laptop in did you use the same cable you used
to plug the switch in ?

If you did then the cable you are using must be a normal straight
through cable. Change it for a cross over cable then try the switch
again. Only use a cross over cable at one end, not both.

Normal straight cables are used from switch to pc etc, the cross over
cables are the type you would use to say link two machines without a
hub or switch.

Ian

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Andy Powell" <ukha@b...> wrote:

> Interestingly enough, I've removed the switch at one end (swapped
it with another) which also gives the same problem...
> Swapped the other switch out - same problem...
>
> However, if I remove the switch at one end completely and plug in a
laptop if works fine...plug in a DDAR, works fine

> What's going on????
>
> Andy
>
> >On 15/10/01 at 17:51 Alancc wrote:
> >
> >>The connections between the sockets should be straight
through,
if you are

> >Ok, that's what I've done...
> >
> >>connecting two switches together you should use a crossover
patch
lead at
> >>one end or set one of the ports to uplink.
> >
> >Yep done that.. The switches appear to 'see' each other ...
equipment
> >attached does not :-(
> >
> >>Hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs, I think what I've
said is
> >correct.
> >
> >I'm just after some clarification... and any idea as to why they
look ok
> >but clearly aren't!
> >

> --- Tag-it! v2.0 (c) Andy Powell 1998
>
> Roads scholar - a squirrel that made it all the way across the
street.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx