RE: Re: IR Distribution

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: IR Distribution
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:19:46 +0100

Hi Nick

In reverse order - TSOP. I have no idea but it is the IR receiver bit that
plugs into the board via a 3.5 mm stereo jack. It takes the IR signal and
demodulates it producing a readable output equating to 1's and 0's or
whatever. My units don't care what it sends as they either propagate the
signal to another unit or re-transmit it locally via an IR emitter or both.
TSOP's come in different flavours, the two I am interested in are 38KHz and
56KHz which make up most of the IR devices found in the home.

These units use a PIC micro controller to add some smarts to the task of
sending and receiving IR throughout the house.

There are two TSOP inputs provided, one for 38KHz and the other for 56KHz.
You can connect more than one TSOP to either input but they must be of the
same KHz range. This is nothing to do with the TSOPs but the PIC treats
input on a port as either 38KHz or 56KHz. If you mix these you could change
the IR signal from 38KHz to 56KHz or vice versa. Might be what you want to
do????

There are two outputs which can send either 38KHz or 56KHz. These are
configurable as either both 38KHz or one of each. Most people would have
them as both 38KHz due to the scarcity of 56KHz kit.

Configuration options include setting whether the unit provides feedback
protection or not. This means that if a unit is sending IR it will not
receive it from the onboard TSOP unit at the same time. This avoids
feedback
loops etc. This feature can be disabled so the unit can be used to 'relay'
signal into a cabinet for example. Care would have to be taken to ensure
the
unit does not receive the signal it is sending otherwise a feedback loop
may
happen.

I am looking at some tweaks to improve reliability but have little news on
that yet. Essentially I will be trying to make sure an IR signal is real
and
not stray light. This feature will be switchable on/off as I cannot guess
everyone's application.

Finally these units communicate with each other using an RS485 bus. This is
multidrop (many units) in a daisychain fashion. I have tested two at over
80
meters with alarm cable with no problems.

There is more so if you have any specific questions please drop me or the
list another line.

Ian

KAT5