RE: OT: where to hire smoke generator

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: where to hire smoke generator
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:50:25 +0100

Never had a smoke machine myself, there always tended to be more than
enough
foul nicotine laden smoke anyway :-(

A Smoke machine uses an oil based fluid to generate the smoke, this can
stain delecate fabrics and finishes. Some newer ones atomise water to
provide a fine mist but this is slightly damp. In the heat of a club which
has air extraction this isnt a problem but might be in the home.

The real "Ground Hugging Fog" is done with dry ice and the effect
is
actually a cloud of CO2 which will suffocate people if there is too much of
it. I dont know where you would get Dry Ice these days anyway. Since
refrigerated lorries became commonplace there has been no need for it. It
was primarily used to keep food fresh/frozen in transit. Apart from the
risk
of suffocation with dry ice there is also a danger of loosing fingers due
the extreme cold temperature of the frozen CO2.

Modern theatrical productions that use Fog use the watermist type of
machines and chill the output so that it hugs the ground but it doesnt stay
around very long.

Most disco equipment retailers have a hire department. Give them a try,
look
in yellow pages, although they might be in short supply for halloween.

Keith