RE: Sky+ vs Tivo (was A couple of quick cabling questions)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Sky+ vs Tivo (was A couple of quick cabling questions)
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:58:29 +0100

> The premium is a tenner a month. In fact you have to pay the tenner to
> turn
> the recording feature on. Once the record two channels at once feature
> comes, it will give it the edge. ATM though I think it will still only
be
> an
> enthusiast product. Your man in the street will find it difficult to
> understand it!

Yes, so is Tivo. But, once you've used it for a week or so you wouldn't
part with it.

> On the PDC thing. That would be fine if all of the channels pressed
the
> button (if that's what they do), I've heard that at times it can be
> delayed
> by hours!

Na, the biggest problem is actually the broadcast companies mucking
around with the schedules, running late etc. this is particularly bad
with the BBC channels but not with Sky/ITV Digital or the commercial
stations in general. I must admit it pisses me off when I miss the last
two or three minutes of Top Gear or Film 2001.

K.

> Tim.

let's
Tivo
> > down against Sky+ is the obvious PDC control that is badly needed
on
> > Tivo, I admit and, the ability to receive two Sky channels, one
for
> > recording and one for watching. However Sky are supposed to be
charging
> > a premium for that service and, knowing Sky, it won't be cheap as
it
> > involves the facility to receive, basically, two signals from the
Astra
> > satellite.
> >
> > On the other hand Sky+ lacks the intuitive abilities of Tivo and
the
> > understandable menus.
> >
> > I'll reserve judgement until I see Sky+ though, which at the
moment
> > looks to be a ways off. From what I hear the uptake on it has
been
worse

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx