Sky+ vs Tivo (was A couple of quick cabling questions)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Sky+ vs Tivo (was A couple of quick cabling questions)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:12:22 +0100

If you ever really want to lose the will to live go and have a look at the
uk.media.tv.sky newsgroup. It tends to be populated by small minded geeks
(who rate Buffy and Star Trek as the pinnacle of small screen
entertainment - OK I think they're both OK, but not a patch on programs
like
Band of Brothers ;-) (And I've got most of the recent Star Trek movies on
DVD). They spend most of their time scoring cheap points off each other,
but
ocaisionally there's some interesting info on there.

The Tivo vs Sky+ debate seems to resemble the Mac vs PC debate, with Tivo
users playing the part of the "Mac evangelists".

For someone like me who has a subscription to Sky World but spends 80% of
his viewing time watching BBC1, BBC2 and C4 I can see a real advantage to
the Sky+ box to take care of conflicts (I don't have a terrestrial tuner
for
TV so Sky is my only picture source.)

I also hear that there is a software update due early next year which will
allow recording of two Sky channels at once (obviously if you want to watch
as well, you have to watch one of the channels that is being recorded). The
hard disk is simply a blank FAT32 disk, and can be upgraded without
fiddling
with the Operating System, so there is an upgrade path as disk real estate
continues to get cheaper.

If Sky do actually plough some of the Sky+ tenner a month subscriptions
back
into the software, then it could end up being a world beater (rather than
an
egg beater). I just wish they'd make one in black!

Only time will tell, I'm holding back for two reasons - firstly it is
really
buggy at the moment, and secondly I want one in black.

Did I mention that I want one in black?

Tim.

Plus.

> I have a TiVo at home and never (rarely) watch 'Live TV' its all via
the
> TiVo so the dual receiver is not that much of an advantage.
>
> Just my Two Penneths worth.
>
> Nigel

CAT5