RE: OT: Web site speed

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: Web site speed
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:00:39 +0100

I am not suggesting that you shouldn't do everything you can to increase
speed, but it has to be accepted that 'Joe B&Q Punter', even if
disappointed
with your site's speed, is only going to pick a competitor if they have a
faster loading site.

One other point, of course the majority of the site will be very much
database driven, as are almost all e-commerce sites now, but that does not
mean that a large amount of backend processing is required for the front
page.

Taking a hypothetical example, lets say that items flagged as being on
'special offer' should be on the home page. It would be possible to trawl
through every single product to find those on offer, or those on offer
could
be copied to a temporary table for rapid retrieval. Obviously database
experts will need to look at how best to optimise this side of it. Also it
might be worth looking at how the page is constructed on the server before
being presented to the browser, there may be some inefficiency in the
actual
constructing code.

One other point about the graphics, the orange tags along the top, home,
express checkout etc. Could be made up of a small icon gif and then text on
an orange background, if marketing really insist upon the 'shadow' under
the
tags then a single 'orange background with shadow' gif could be used for
every button (just stretching the width) with white text placed on top. You
have already got this on the yellow tags below, so why not repeat it.

Can't think of any more right now.

Regards

Graham

B&Q site's slow" because