Re: [OT] - Yellow Card from BT Internet Anytime

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] - Yellow Card from BT Internet Anytime
  • From: ian@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:56:07 -0000

Hi
No matter what you do while you are connected BT will cut you off. I
had the same letter (I was one of the lucky 200 in round 1). I added
various scripts to the server to make sure the connection was active
and visited random sites from a list. It did not make any differance
and they switched me off before I got up a 7am. They have blocked all
my email mailboxs so they can not be setup from a pay as you go
account ! The good news is I now have my own domain and email so it
will not happen again and so far the new ISP seems ok with my usage
and I find it better than BT was !

Good Luck

Ian

--- In ukha_d@y..., "John McManus" <john.mcmanus@b...>
wrote:
> The saga continues...
>
> Yesterday evening I sent a query to the helpdesk asking if there
were any 'known problems' with the new Anytime number since I have
had shocking problems connecting after 1730.

> This morning I received:
> --------------------------------
> As part of our customer service program, we regularly review the
network and level of service received by all of our customers.

> After reviewing our records recently, we have reason to believe
that your account has been active for online sessions during extended
periods of time when it has not been used.

> We remind you that this is not permitted under the terms and
conditions of the BTopenworld Anytime service (please refer to
paragraph 10.3).
> http://www.btopenworld.com/helpnb/terms/
> The reason for this condition is that such usage reduces the level
of available service for all of our customers.

> We wish to advise that should this practice continue, we reserve
our right to suspend or terminate your account without further notice
to you.
> --------------------------------
>
> This will teach me to ask about faults!
>
> As someone who is normally a home worker during the day, and whose
wife / son uses the internet during the evening, I guess BT don't
want us as a customer.  (I have ensured that the connection cannot be
brought up more than 16 hours a day, but I guess we must not be
hopping from web page to web page quickly enough... must learn to
read more quickly).

> On a pragmatic level... BT Openworld are running a commercial
service.  If they choose to deliver a less than quality service, that
still meets the contractual terms of the agreement with the customer,
that is their choice.  The customer can decide to continue to use the
allegedly poor service, or can vote with their feet...