Re: Starting a new flood wiring project

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Starting a new flood wiring project
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:38:20 +0100

On Thursday 11 October 2001 18:30 pm, dhk@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Some newbie questions...
>
> I've just moved into a new big house and my first plan is to flood
> wire it with appropriate cat5 for networking, AV, and IR.
>
> I have had some outrageous quotes for getting the wiring done
> professionally and reading posts here and on HA sites seeing what
> others have done I reckon it might be worth trying to do it myself.
> I have never done this sort of thing before though so am a little
> dubious as to my own skills and how much effort is involved.

Don't worry about it dude, it's (usually) easy....

> My inital plans are by default to run 2 cat5 cables to each room and
> probably 4 to each of mine and the wife's office for later use.  I
> have a built-in garage downstairs where my NTL cable connection comes
> in (and currently houses the main LAN server) and is an ideal place
> to locate my node zero and comms cabinet.
>
> Anyone got any ideas as to what extra cabling to install, how to put
> the cabling in myself, and any offers of help ;)

Yeah, 2 cat5 won't be enough. I have 16 going into my lounge and I could
have
done with more.

Think about running CT100 from each room back to node 0 for video
distribution, if you're gutting the house you might also want to re-wire
the
lighting circuit to accomodate a future install of DIN X10 units. This
usually means running a neutral wire to each switch back to your consumer
units.

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
Chief Operations Officer