RE: Overheating CPUs...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Overheating CPUs...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:54:08 +0100

I've gotta say Mark that I can't totally agree with you ... I have been
using AMD processors since my first K6-2 350 now and I have been *VERY*
happy with them.

Sure, the floating point on the K6-2 wasn't as quick as the P2 but that
didn't bother me ... I rarely play games and it was still able to
recalculate Excel sheets quicker than I needed! My Athalon machine I can't
find fault with at all (the software that runs on it is a different matter
altogether).

I currently run three PCs and two laptops and all of the PCs are AMD based,
there's a K6-2 266, a K6-2 450 and a 1.2GHz Athalon. The laptops are a P2
266 and a PIII 500. I have never been interested in overclocking processors
and so if AMD or Intel sell me a 1GHz processor I'm not going to get upset
if it doesn't run at 1.2GHz (I'll raise hell if it doesn't run reliably at
1GHz though) and in a way I'd be more suspicious of a company that
"underrates" its processors as I'd be wondering why they are
underrating
them - are the processors so inconsistent that they need that much margin
of
safety to guarantee they'll still work?

Sure, the Intel jobs are better protected against "catastrophic"
thermal
failure (i.e. the heatsink breaking off in transit) but they do survive a
fan failing and the heatsink not being properly cooled in which case (my
understanding is) they do shut down reasonably gracefully.

Phil

the