Re: Conduit in walls?

Phil,

>First off, apologies, this is my first HA question - I've a lot to
>learn.

no probem that's what we're all here for..

>I'm currently in the process of cabling my recently purchased house.  I
>would like your advice on whether to use cable conduit or not when
>laying cat5, coax or mains cabling into the walls.

Basically the answer is yes, use conduit.

>What is the benefit of conduit?  Why should I use it?

Well what if one of the cables fail once it's in the wall? Easy with
conduit installed you'd just pull it back and put another in... If you'd
just burried it in the wall you'd be drilling/plastering..

What happens in the future if you want to replace Cat5 with fibre etc...
conduit will may you happy, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but
someday and for the rest of your life ;-)

>I've been advised to just bury the cable in the wall and fill over it.

No, no, no , no ,no - don't do it. It may seem like the quickest and
easyest but don't do it. it's a very BAD idea

>Doesn't the cat5/coax/mains become unmovable if a top hat section
>conduit is used?

Smooth conduit... not the wrinkly, stuff

>Is there a recommended sizing for conduit?  Or just what fits?

Just what fits, bear in mind how many cables you want to put in each.. and
don't mix power and Cat5 in the same conduit..

There are others more experienced on this than me in the group but these
are my views....

hope it helps...

Andy

--- Tag-it! v2.0 (c) Andy Powell 1998

let length(Long_Walk) > length(Short_Pier)