Re: kat5 alternative for Americans?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: kat5 alternative for Americans?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:34:52 -0000

They ARE using balanced transmission but the units are totally
PASSIVE. ie They contain NO electronics to buffer/amplify the signal,
they only contain transformers.

They are also COMPOSITE ONLY whereas KAT5 will handle S-Video.

These will work OK and if they suit your need then thats fine. There
are basically two ways to convert between balanced/unbalanced
signals.

PASSIVE which requires no power but does loose a small amount of the
original signal.

ACTIVE which uses electronic circuitry and does not suffer losses.
Active circuitry can also provide gain and equalisation to overcome
the losses in long cables. Active DOES require a Power source.

HTH

Keith

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Rehan Khwaja" <rehankhwaja@y...>
wrote:
> Well, KAT5 isn't available for the States so I found some
> alternatives, which generally look like this:
>
> http://www.tselectronic.com/viewpage.php?

refpage=/dss_ht/dssindex.html&refscope=ecatalog&filename=unicom/vaau50