Re: Home Highway

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Home Highway
  • From: patrickl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 07:25:12 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@v...>
wrote:
>=20
> 1.    Does HH use only the two main wires which come into the house
> (connected at present to master box). If it uses more, I am cream=20
crackered,
> will have to rip up lounge carpet and floorboards, no hatches=20
anywhere near.
>=20
> <<I believe it does only use the same two wires ... no extra=20
cabling was
> required when they did mine but I wasn't watching at the time. They
> certainly ran no new cables.>>

It's a bit more complicated than that. HH consists of a "HH
box"=20
which needs power and houses the ISDN interface and two analogue=20
ports. Although HH/ISDN only uses two wires coming in to the house,=20
it HH box uses four wires between the existing master socket and the=20
HH box - two for ISDN feed TO the HH box and two for the analogue 1=20
port return FROM the HH box back in to your existing extension=20
wiring. The master socket itself is replaced with a special HH=20
friendly version to accommodate this scheme. So, you need four wires=20
between the HH box and master socket, and two wires from outside to=20
the master socket. The two can obviously be located adjacent provided=20
it is convenient and there is mains power at that location. Some=20
people complain that the HH box transformer is noisy - you probably=20
don't want to locate the HH box in your bedroom. Extending the ISDN=20
bit of HH is a bit of a chore - it may be easier to locate the HH box=20
near your PC or router so the digital port is within flying lead=20
reach.

>  2.    I got BT to move my master to node 0 in the middle of the=20
house,
> beside Comfort. I then duly replaced the BTmaster socket with a MK=20
master
> socket enabling the  BT Master socket to be fitted after Comfort=20
(Comfort
> require direct access to Master to control system, and uses another=20
master
> after the alarm panel for house distribution)  (easier for running
> extensions from the BT box)....Do you think they will bother...
>=20
> << They need the new design of "split" master unit to
patch the HH=20
box into
> but if you have an upstream tap for Comfort then I doubt they'll=20
care ... I
> assume they'll just want to get to the current master socket.>>

Your existing extension wiring will be left operational, connected to=20
the first analogue socket on HH.

>  3.    I ordered some new laptops for work, one for me when unwell,=20
enabling
> me to work from home, They are IBM M700's with k56 internal modem,=20
will it
> work on HH analog line.
>=20
> <<Yup.>>

You may well get faster connections than you do at present over your=20
existing connection.

> Can the IBM internal modems be replaced with ISDN or must I fit=20
PCMCIA or
> use serial connection.
>=20
> <<Doubt it...>>

I don't know of an IBM internal modem which can be replaced with=20
ISDN; I use a Xircom realport ISDN adapter on mine when out and=20
about, which does ISDN and GSM with a dongle, analogue straight out=20
of the box. I would recommend that you consider buying an ISDN=20
router - then you can share it via a LAN with all your kit. The=20
Netgear routers are a nice bit of kit. Be careful when configuring=20
dial on demand though. Big bills may come your way (remember=20
Dr.John's shenanigans?)

>  4.    Can anyone advise best (low cost) isdn external connector,=20
and good
> place to purchase. BT want =A399 which I think is steep, am I right.
>=20
> <<If you're after an external ISDN TA I may have a
"spare".>>
>=20
>  5.    Can you get full 128K connecting to BTinternet Anytime i.e.=20
one free
> dial up and one 1p/min dial up
>=20
> <<No ... you are charged for *BOTH* calls apparently however I
have=20
never
> tried 128k.>>

Erm, remember that 128k will get you back to square one - you=20
incoming analogue lines will be busied out. Some routers allow=20
bonding on demand (bring up a second connection if the the bandwidth=20
is required) which may be a reasonable compromise in terms of cost &=20
convenience.

>  6.    Anyone had problems connecting Comfort to HH.

Yes. But my Comfort system has never worked properly from day one,=20
despite investing a huge amount of time and effort in the exercise=20
and HH was only one factor in the equation. You _shouldn't_ have any=20
issues with HH & Comfort.

Patrick