Re: Ocupancy Detection

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Ocupancy Detection
  • From: "Mark Pollock" <pollocmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:25:30 -0000

A lurker come to the surface...

A colleague of mine implemented something like this for a city firm
where it tracks employees and unlocks doors. It wasn't a big brother
thing - something to do with providing manifests in the event of
bombscares, fire alarms etc. as well as access control. (well that's
what he told me ;)

It used a product called TIRIS by Texas Instruments (now RFID if you
search their web page). It was basically smartcards and and ceiling
mounted receivers/transmitters. The tx/rx activates the card (I guess
something like the NoGo tags you get in shops) and gets an ID back.

It sounds like the holy grail of Occupancy Detection. He did point
out that you might be missing an arm and a leg if you want to
purchase it tho. But that doesn't seem to stop most of you lot any
way :)

If you are interested, give the web page a read and if you've got
questions I can try and pass them on to someone who has implemented
them (albeit not in a direct HA application).

HTH - and sorry if this is old news

Mark.