RE: Ocupancy Detection

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Ocupancy Detection
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:54:53 +0100

Simon,

I may well be interested if they really fulfill the spec of "telling
me
when someone's in the room, even if they're sitting down". Can you
advise how one might have a remote PIR communicating back to the
Homevision over CAT5 wiring? If this is possible, then installation
becomes much easier than if I'd have to run dedicated cable?

After one of the UKHA London meets earlier in the year, Kieran Broadfoot
got me thinking about occupancy detection. At the moment, I have it
working in one room - my dressing room.

I have an "X-10 PIR", talking IR to an Infrared transceiver,
talking
X-10 to Homevision, which then talks X-10 to the lights (and other
stuff....)

If the house is in "normal" mode and it's after dark, then
triggering
the PIR causes the light in the dressing room to come on. Then with some
messing around with timers, off again after no more movement is
detected. (I found Homevision timers better than trying to set the
"timeout" timer on the PIR).

If the house is in "normal" mode and it's daytime, nothing
happens ;-)

If the house is in "secure" mode, then triggering the PIR causes
the
following to happen:
- All lights upstairs start flashing on and off
- The telly turns on

At the moment, "secure mode" is set with the Pronto. It's on the
"to do"
list, to make Homevision take it's mode from the Burglar Alarm.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher