Re: Wireless LAN

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wireless LAN
  • From: mark@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:55:23 -0000

Stuart

Just saw this...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/tools/wireless_articles_range.htm

Haven't read any of the articles but here are some of the titles...

Bob Cringely, of PBS fame, gives details on the 802.11b setup he uses
to get his long-range wireless DSL connection (from a cooperative
neighbor

Construction plans for a large omni-directional antenna suitable for
802.11b use. [Thnx Kevin Linamood!]

This time, some folks from O'Reilly Associates try their hand at a 20
mile 802.11b link!

Let us know if there's anything useful!

M.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Stuart Booth" <stuart@s...> wrote:
> On 29 Sep 01, at 12:37, Ian Lowe wrote:
>
> > The price on that sort of range is usually in the 5-6K range. If
it's
> > less, let me know :)
>
> The words "Me" and "<something beginning with
F>" spring quickly
> to mind.
>
> I did say "fun project" didn't I? A few hundred quid, then
game on,
> anything else, forget it.
>
> Oh well, back to hand signals I guess...
>
> Stuart

Buckinghamshire,
> > > possibly via Satellite downlinks.
> > >  - some kind of wireless LAN between myself and a friend in
the
> > > village (line of sight maybe).
> > >
> > > It's really great that all 3 topics get touched upon on this
mailing
> > > list.
> > >
> > > The other day there was a mention of a product called
BreezeCom
for
> > > wireless LAN between buildings, so I tracked that down to:
> > >
> > > http://www.alvarion.com/Products_2020.asp?tNodeParam=13
> > >
> > > 30mile radius !!!
> > >
> > > This sounds fantastic, but probably a bit OTT given my
friend
in the
> > > village is a mere 150m or so from me. :) But if we can get
some
kind
> > > of broadband 'net access between us, and then share it
across a
> > > wireless LAN we'll have a lot of fun. To be honest, it's
just a
fun
> > > project to see if something like this is possible.
> > >
> > > Do these Alvarion people have UK distributers and what sort
of
prce