RE: KAT5

> So I could use a Sender per device located in the Home Cinema
> room to transmit to several receivers in different rooms, via a loft-
> based patch panel.

Yup...

> Not having seen this cool equipment before, I'm still trying to
> visualise it all in my head.

Sure ... no worries.

> And then in each room I'd need a TV with multiple input
> connections so it can be connected to each KAT5 receiver. I then
> toggle the TV input to choose what I watch. Is that even vaguelly
> right?!

Not quite ... you route each source into the switcher either directly or by
a KAT5 transmitter. Each room or "zone" in your house that you
want to watch
in has it's own KAT5 receiver. The switcher sorts out routing the signals
the right rooms.

> Rules out my spare portable TV at the moment then as it only has
> a single SCART.

Nope ... that's perfect!

> Just shout at me, all, when this gets too boring for the list
> members and I'll take it to email.

Rule number 1 : No one shouts at anyone here ... stupid questions are only
stupid when they're not asked. We all start from nowhere and we all learn.
The guys on this group taught me everything I know (or at least gave me the
incentive to look).

> BTW, why in the garage? I've often wondered why people convert
> their garage, but I guess it gets thing out of the house. It's just
that
> the garage always seems a little exposed to me. In my garage,
> along with the car & motorbike, if I had Private Ryan doing his
war
> thing, people walking past on the street would likely know about it!
> NOT what I'd want. Luckily my Home Cinema room is at the back
> of the house so it's just the neighbours that know it's on, if
> anybody, and not every joe walking past.

My garage is 17ft long x 9.5ft wide x 7.5 ft high ... it has a door in from
the house and no windows. It is below my bedroom so if I'm watching a movie
I'm not disturbing anyone except myself. I will be insulating the garage
door (probably with a sandbag wall) to stop the sound escaping and so from
the outside you shouldn't hear anything much. I can finish the walls how I
want (the missus wouldn't like carpet underlay battened to the walls to
deaden reflections in the living room) and I can have the place completely
dark - I can also do the electrics how I want and arrange kit and speakers
to be in the right places rather than having to look what SWMBO calls
"nice".

Phil