LD11 problem with mains halogens

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: LD11 problem with mains halogens
  • From: "Keith Milner" <kamilner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:43:15 -0000

Dear group,
I have just come across a rather strange problem with LD11's and
mains halogen lights, and was wondering if anyone can explain this.

I have two banks of 4 halogen lights (thus 8 lights), all mains 240V,
which I recently tried to wire to an LD11 dimmer.

Note that I have previously done this elsewhere in the house with no
problems, although not with as many as 8.

On completing the wiring, the system appeared to do precisely
nothing. So I double checked, and triple checked, and checked fuses,
and swapped LD11 units, etc.

All with no success!

So, I then tried disconnecting one bank of halogens, leaving a single
bank of 4. This "sort of" worked, in that the lights came on, but
stayed on ignoring any X10 commands or, even the switch connected to
the LD11.

I swapped the connected bank to the other bank, with exactly the same
symptom.

I have now put an an AD10 which works perfectly, apart from
the "clunk" and the lack of any dim capability. This also assures
me
my wiring is OK (I have also checked it at least a dozen times).

I looked at the obvious (power consumption), but the LD11s are rated
>from
320W which is well within spec.

Has anyone else come across a similar problem with LD11's and
halogens?

FYI, the "bulbs" are Sylvana 240V 40W units. Interestingly I have
4
of these lights wired elsewhere in the house onto an LD11 and they
work perfectly.

regards,

Keith Milner