NTL Distribution + Kat5

  • To: "ukha_d" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: NTL Distribution + Kat5
  • From: "Dan Khan" <dhk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:04:10 -0000

Hi,

I would like to relocate my NTL Set top box from my living room into my
comms rack.  The main reasons are that the colour doesn't match other
equipment; I never physically touch the NTL box except via remote; and I
may
later want to view NTL on TVs other than in the lounge.

The incoming NTL feed is coax with f-connector (I think).  I currently have
an NTL feed in the living room for TV and one in the garage for cable
internet.  Does anyone know if these two feeds are the same thing split in
two?  I.e. can I split the NTL feed in the garage to do both internet and
TV?  This would make it easier to relocate the STB since the garage
connection is much closer to the comms cabinet.

Failing that - can I use Kat5 to take an NTL f-connect in, and then
F-connect out at the comms end?

i.e.

Lounge NTL feed -->
Kat5 tx (lounge) -->
Kat5 Rx (comms) -->
NTL STB Scart Out (comms) -->
Kat5 Tx (comms) -->
Lounge Kat5 Rx (lounge) -->
TV (lounge)?

What about sending the NTL IR (my STB works with my pronto...) down the
same
piece of cat5 as well (not sure of Keith's progress with this yet :)

Could the two kat5 modules at both ends be combined into a single in and
out
unit at each end :) ?

Would the video/sound be noticably degraded in this scenario?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
-Dan