RE: whole house audio

cheers Keith, a great help.

mono? no way!

do you know what the score is if I use speaker pairs of different
impedance?
it'll be a bit of a mismatched speaker collection...

also, the rooms do vary greatly in size, so it seems your suggestion of
multiple amps connected to the 'tape out' may be more suitable so I can
set volume in each room. I assume this method would reduce a huge amount of
heat generation?

Not ideal, but cheaper I reckon... I have at least 2 old amplifiers lying
around...

so this is how I connect?:

audio source - hifi amplifier - tape out - multiple amps for volume control
- speaker pairs.

re: cables. I had read of other people's misfortune in this area, so
am planning to route cable in parallel to every room, backing up to
my cupboard under the stairs where I will be siting the hifi, video
and a spare networked PC to act as MP3 storage (eventually).
I am thinking of terminating the cable in each room with some form of wall
mounted jack point eventually (when I get some cash), so I can 'borrow' the
speakers for other loacl sources (eg TV sets in 2 rooms).

Think I'm getting there. First job will be cabling...

Any advice on avoiding AC hum?

Cheers

Scott