Re: Cannibalising Mini-timer

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cannibalising Mini-timer
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:54:09 +0000

To be honest, with that level of re-engineering, it sounds like it would be
easier to start again from scratch! - I would prefer to use my Epod as a
bedside controller, using a custom interface, but I have a couple of
problems with that...

It's a >teeny< bit too big for what I need.
SWMBO Likes it, and wants it in the kitchen
It doesn't switch on in response to a screen tap (ala Pronto)
I've only got 1 Epod, and it seems a wast to secure it to my bedside

The screen-tap switch-on is the biggest problem for me - if it is a bedside
controller, it has to be assumed it will be used in total darkness, so what
I would ideally want is for the screen to stay on all the time, just
showing
the digital clock display (lust like a standard bedside clock), but then in
response to any screen tap, the rest of the interface "powers up"
so to
speak....

Paul G.

>I was thinking of making a daughterboard to go into where the
"big" chip
>is to do what it does, but better ;)
>
>One thing I would have to do is up the refresh rate of the display.. it
>flickers waaaay too much. I would also want some way of setting the
>clock remotely, but with only an X10 tx on board thats not as easy as I
>would hope for. Also I would want to query alarm times and set them
>remotely so that it could be intelegent with respect to day of week
etc.
>At the moment I leave it set to "set clock" on friday and
saturday