Cannibalising Mini-timer

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Cannibalising Mini-timer
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:27:47 +0000

I've just opened one up, and as you might expect, the inside is mostly air!

There are just 3 small PCB's - one attached to the top immediately under
all
the buttons, one with the LED clock display, and another on the
"floor"
where the bulk of the components are.

These are all linked by a number of short ribbon cables. The PCB for the
buttons is a membrane type keypad - ie there are no wires to the buttons so
replacing them or even moving them will be tricky. The only option as I see
it will be to reuse the PCB as is, but re-mounted in my custom enclosure,
I'll be able to just leave off the buttons I don't want to use, and only
make panel cut-outs in the new enclosure for the buttons I do want to
use...
It means there will be much less flexibility with the layout than I had
hoped for, basically I will be restricted to pretty much re-mounting 2
minitimer's side-by-side in a new enclosure, and omitting the redundant
buttons. (who *ever* uses the "security" button!?!?!)

That is, unless I can figure out the matrix and work out where to connect a
bunch of new momentary switxhes....

Paul G.