RE: Re: All Lights On/All Units Off and Modifying an MT10

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: All Lights On/All Units Off and Modifying an MT10
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:00:24 -0000

Yeah ... Jesus Christ guys! Calm down...

I might just have to start an off topic thread to kill this one!

Mark, you seem very keen to nail someone who certainly should know what
they're talking about ... Li knows X10 and X10 products inside out and
has produced some great "enhanced" units that I couldn't do
without.

Your original query (which I've long since deleted) went along the lines
of "Groan, why is X10 so pants ... they implement All Lights On and
All
Units Off but don't implement these other functions which I want." ...
well, believe it or not X10 wasn't implemented for you alone. It was set
up to cover a mass market. I've already posted why All Lights On and All
Units Off were implemented in preference to other commands on the
controllers.

If you need to add functionality to X10 commands then you can do so by
using a CM12 and triggering macros by using other X10 commands that you
can send which is what the rest of us do and which works very well.

You started on about your friends being able to extract the code from
PICs etc. - well, PICs have hardware code protection fuses which are no
more difficult to use than checking a box on the programming software
and - given the huge numbers of X10 products that are sold - the
controllers for many of the modules are hard coded rather than
programmable units so you're not going to extract the code or modify it
by poking a byte with a different value.

Also ... something that you have also completely ignored is the fact
that X10 hold patents and copyright on their products and code and so
"reverse engineering" units might well be completely illegal even
if it
were possible.

Now, can we please go back to being good boys and girls, let us put our
toys back in our prams and stop having paddies ...

This is my only posting on this matter ... I'm not going to get drawn
into a pissing contest ... I hope we can all settle down and get on with
something useful.

Phil

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx