RE: Trying to get my head round X10

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Trying to get my head round X10
  • From: "Michael Mc Aree" <michael.mcaree@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:53:50 -0000

Title: Message
I moved house in December and had to have the house totally rewired, amngst other things. The house was built in 1932 and has nice cornices etc. I bought the X10 LD10's and gave them to my spark and he read the leaflet and got to work. He thought I was mad and charged me a little bit extra for the wiring. In total I have 16 LD11/AD10's in the house for all the rooms and outside lights at the front and back. I also wired the Heating and Imerrsion Heater to AD10s.. I did not wire any sockets to X10 modules as I had a number of plug-in modules already. There were also 10 Cat5 runs and 6 Co-Ax runs up to node Zero in the attic. I provided faceplates (and terminated) for Co-ax and Cat5, and I also provied the Ld11/AD10 - while he did all the rest. Total cost was £1800. A return visit to rewire the kitchen when we were having it replaced was a further £500 but that included wiring the garage and a few other things, including a few runs for Comfort.

I have my main board in the porch. a box in the cloakroom for all downstairs lights, a box in the attic for upstairs lights and one above the kitchen (roof space) for kitchen, garage and outside stuff. I only installed Comfort last month and am very pleased.
I'm not sure about your circumstances but the extras were about £700 for me over a normal rewire and I was just about able to justify that because a house that needs a rewire may also require a new kitchen/bathroom :-)

I only have 2 AD10's  - for heating and immersion heater - and could not think of anywhere else I would use them.
As for switches  - my spark provided those except in the hallway. It is oak paneled and had an old brass four gang. I replaced it with the brass 4 gang push switch from Lets Automate. I have two singles in other rooms and may buy more as I decorate each room. My kitchen has the clipsal switches and a red neon which shows if the heating is on or not, a good feature as the old timer is in a cupboard out of sight.

Hope some of this helps and good luck in your new home.

Regards

Michael
BELFAST