RE: On and off topic... recovering a pine table and when Home seerfailed...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: On and off topic... recovering a pine table and when Home seerfailed...
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:26:01 -0000

Hi Phil,

> Mini-timers on the bedside.. - Agree totally, they are not
configurable
> enough to use as a standalone alarm clock. I use mine purely as
[mini timer interfacing]

Sounds cool and I think that would suit most people really, does anyone
ever
set an alarm for say 7.22? Actually I have but usually because it was dark
and I couldn't find the "single step" button on an alarm clock so
was in the
"fast step" mode which forwards at an unpredictable rate so
missed whichever
(15 or 30) I was trying to set and 22 was quite close. In an ideal world I
would not have used such an odd time setting. My central heating electronic
timer (must get around to installing the AD10) only advances in 10 or 15
minute increments, I forget which.

For less laborious large time changes, I guess a second macro could
"bright/dim" by say an hour (a feature Ihave seen on a timer I
have used in
the past which had setting hour then setting minutes rather than cycling
through them all).

> Homeseer PC crashing: - it's a fact of life, PC's are not 100%
reliable,
> PC's running Windows especially so. The only thing you can do is
> to accept
> that, and devise a strategy to handle it. In my case, I have built a
> rudimentary "cluster", by which I mean I have a second
instance
> of Homeseer

Interesting. I thought about this myself a while ago and even have a
machine
lined up for the job. I never actually worked out all the logistics of
deciding whether the main PC was alive and whether to replicate all
interfaces and have the two machines swap in the event of one failing so
the
main would then become backup. But unless there was some major problem
requiring attention it looks like your system is sufficient backup in the
even of any failure.

I guess from your description you are using some sort of Homeseer event to
do the "ping" and checking it is alive and some form of script to
disable/enable during the changeover?

> Food for thought?....

Definitely :) I must get around to making 'Hilly' (the backup for 'Holly')
operational.

Thanks,

Mark.