RE: Relay question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Relay question
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:18:53 -0000

> Would someone who knows about relays be kind enough to have a look at
this
> http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/images/3xxx/3044_pcb.jpg
and
> tell me what goes where If say I wanted to wire a light that would
come on
> when >1V DC is applied.
> I have ordered an assembled version but having looked at the
documentation
> haven't got a clue how to wire it up!

You CANNOT use this circuit to control MAINS, mainly because I don't think
there is suitable isolation, and that the PCB probably isn't rated for it.

Assuming it were up to the job, your load (light) would be connected across
C (COMMON) and EITHER NO NORMALLY OPEN) OR NC (NORMALLY CLOSED).  NO would
mean you'd have to apply a SIGNAL to turn the light ON, and conversely, NC
would mean you would have to apply a SIGNAL to turn the light OFF.

NO is my guess at what would best fit your application.

Your low voltage switching signal would be applied across SIGNAL +/-

I think the + and - probably need 12v dc to supply the power to energise
the
relay (1v isn't enough on its own for 99% of relay coils).

That's as I understand it from the PCB.  Hopefully Keith and others can
confirm what I have said (otherwise I have embarrassed myself!)

James H

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx