OT: Outlook 2000 rules help

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT: Outlook 2000 rules help
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:25:18 -0000

Hi all you Outlook gurus... hopefully you can help.

At present, I have my main mailbox on my Exchange server, and I have a
PST file on my laptop into which I file any mailing list stuff.

I have a "number" of mailing lists, and therefore a number of
"Rules
Wizard" rules that move the messages about for me. Obviously, given
that
the PST file is on my laptop, these rules are client rules, and only run
when I plug my laptop into the Internet.

The downside is that, on monday mornings, if I've taken my laptop home,
it can take 20 minutes for these rules to all run (put it this way -
ukha_d is the second busiest list to which I subscribe!)

All this works.

Increasingly, when I'm out of the office, I don't take my laptop with
me, but use Outlook Web Access (OWA) to read my mail - most places I
visit tend to me group company offices, and have a working web browser I
can use, but don't necessarily have an Internet connection with a
Firewall that allows outgoing MAPI access ;-)

If I've left my laptop in the office (secured with a Kensington lock!)
then everything is hunky-dorey. The laptop files all the group messages
for me, so I can read them on my return. The OWA therefore only shows
the "work" emails - which tend to be the ones I want to read when
I'm
visiting other offices.

The problem comes if a: I've turned off my laptop, and b: I'm using OWA.
In this situation I have several hundred messages cluttering up the main
Inbox, and OWA only lets me wade through them 20 at a time.

I'm trying to have a clever rule that works along the lines of:

- create a "holding folder" on the _server_
- have a _server_ rule that moves any list messages into that "holding
folder"
- have a _client_ rule that moves any messages out of that "holding
folder" into the appropriate place in my PST

.... but I can't see how to do it...

Help?

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher