Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 10:17 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Security Alarm

I have recently installed the Visonic PowerMax at home, and have been very happy with it, and found it simple and inexpensive.  Whilst the PowerMax is not nearly as advanced as comfort PowerMax does almost everything I needed it to. The main points for me were:

29 Wireless zones and 1 wired zone - not more cabling !!!

Pet immune PIR's (suitable for small dogs) - batteries in wireless devices last 7 years.

Built in modem for dialing and 2 way voice communication

Software is available (let me know if you want a copy) to configure the whole system via a PC and download to the alarm

Only 1 house code and 8 devices, but these can be triggered by:- arming, disarming, alarm, timer or by zone activation. Personally I use these with homeseer to trigger macros and scripts

There is no additional control panel for the system which is a pain, although you do have the key fobs to activate/deactivate the alarm and a reserved button for X10 (I use to open the garage door).  The main irritation that I have is that the X10 commands sent are pulsed ON followed by OFF, you can set these to 1 sec, 1min, 2 min or 4 min. I have it set so the offs are always ignored by everything and let homseer deal with it.

So far (2 months)  I have had no false alarms at all, the cats do not trigger the sensors but people do, and the X10 signals have been totally reliable.  The X10 interface does not come as standard and needs to be ordered separately, contrary to the interface described in the instruction manual the  one supplied by Lets Automate for Comfort works fine.

Visonic themselves won't sell them to you, but they will give you the names of the wholesaler nearest you. The total cost for me was about £500 which included the main unit, 2 keyfobs, 1 panic button, 1 door sensor and 7 PIR's

Let me know if you want more information, documentation or anything else.

Regards,

Mark