RE: Video Distribution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Video Distribution
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:52:59 +0000

> > Sounds like an ideal use for the LG Flatron display I mentioned
> > a couple of weeks ago. (I'm still trying to think of an excuse
> > for buying one of these).
>
>A quick search on the (newly formed) UKHA Archives revealed the
"LG LCD
>TV/Monitor 15 LE-15A10"
>That the one you're talking about, Paul ??

That'll be the chappy!

>Would certainly fit the bill, and be somewhat cheaper than Sharp's
>offering.
>
> > Recently seen this for 650
>
>Whereabouts ?? Best I could see was the 800quid mark (inc VAT)

I initally saw it in Comet, but it was advertised at £800 IIRC, I've
subsequently seen it in Dixons for £699, and I've seen it online for £650,
although I can't remember exactly what site I saw it on, - check out the
usual suspects like unbeatable.co.uk et al....

>I'd still be interested to hear any thoughts on using a cheaper 300quid
PC
>monitor - which makes we wonder why on earth LCD TVs are so much
expensive
>than their equivalently sized PC monitor counterparts ? I mean, a TV
card
>for my PC is under 50quid....
>
>One idea I had was to something like
>http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/vd-300.htm
to convert the RF to VGA -
>but
>this particular one only does S-Video and explicitly "NB: This
product is
>not suitable for use with LCD and TFT displays when converting a PAL
video
>signal." :-(
>
>Robert

You can do this with an external tuner box, I've seen these advertised by
(I
think) Keene electronics (or it might have been Lektropacks). This was if I
recall, a relatively inexpensive box (about £100), containing a normal TV
tuner. The output is VGA via a standard D-Sub HD 15, which you connect to
any standard monitor. Your PC's VGA output connects to the box as well, and
the display can then be switched between TV & PC by the supplied
remote.

Paul G.