Re: Video Distribution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Video Distribution
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:50:40 +0000

Sounds like an ideal use for the LG Flatron display I mentioned a couple of
weeks ago. (I'm still trying to think of an excuse for buying one of
these).

Recently seen this for £650

It's a flat panel display with a built-in TV tuner, and a HD15 SVGA input
for use as a PC monitor. Also includes composite video in for use with
sky/playstation/VCR etc...

Paul G.

>From: "Robert Welsh" <bob@xxxxxxx>
>To: "Ukha_D@Yahoogroups. Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Video Distribution
>Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:38:29 -0000
>
>With the recent discussion on "On-Topic" vs
"Off-Topic", I'm not sure if
>this is appropriate or not for this group. If not, feel free to
ignore....

>I want to be able to watch TV in my kitchen - well, as a Phase One plan
>anyway.
>As it stands, I've got RF running into my kitchen from my loftbox
>distributor/amplifier.
>Sticking a portable 14" TV in kitchen, I can watch Sky TV no
problem.

>So what is the problem ??
>Well, I want a flat panel wall mounted display in the kitchen - not a
14"
>cube-like portable.
>That gives me, from what I can find, two options.
>
>a) Pay a large sum of cash (around 1500quid) for a Sharp 15" LCD
TV, or
>b) Buy a 300quid 15" TFT monitor and work out how to use it a
video display

>Obviously keen to save myself 1000quid, I'm eager to work on option (b)
but
>am struggling with making the leap from PC monitor to TV display -
bearing
>in mind I only have RF distribution.
>Right now I can use a "TV-Link" to remotely control the
digibox from the
>kitchen, and so any solution that involved replacing the RF with Cat5
>(which
>is possible if necessary) needs to also fulfil a similar function (I
guess
>could use IR Powermids).
>Sound isn't a big problem as the kitchen is already served by a
seperate
>sound system, whose amp is connected to the digibox - meaning I don't
need
>to carry the sound by the same path as the video.
>The final fly in the ointment is that many rooms in the house are
served
>Sky
>by the loftbox - so I can't break that distribution in order to come up
>with
>a solution from my kitchen.
>
>As for "Phase Two"....well it'd be cool if in the future I
wasn't