RE: UKHA meet pics...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: UKHA meet pics...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:45:03 +0100

I don't have a projector (yet), - well, not exactly anyway, - I have a
43"
rear-projection TV....

Without meaning to sound smug, (well not >too< much!) - there is no
comparison to some of the top movie-houses we have in London. - typically
this means Leicester Sq. - (Odeon and Empire are both fabulous!) - Phil,
the
Empire has bloody great plush armchairs that even Luciano Pavarotti would
be
comfortable in, and the Odeon has recently been restored to it's former
60's
art deco glory, complete with (fake) leopard-skin seats, and a rising
organ... (ooo-err!)
But there are other notable ones as well... The Odeon at Marble Arch has
the
largest* screen in the country. (*largest "normal" one...) then
there is the
new IMAX cinema, (which I haven't visited yet), but aparrently the new
version of Fantasia has been transferred to IMAX format, so I'll make the
effort when that comes around.

All of the places I have mentioned above are air-conditioned, regularly
refitted, so always have a high quality of decor, nice (non-sticky)
carpets,
big comfortable clean seats, and are generally thoroughly nice places to
go.
(shame that it typically costs £10 a seat though... but you do get what you
pay for...) - the Empire has a pretty impressive laser show that
accompanies
the THX trailer...

Of course, there are some pretty horrible dives in London as well, but
that's a story for another day!!....

Paul G.

> > As a question for you projector'ed guys... Do you still go the
pictures?

>No ... we have a five year old who cannot sit through a film without
>constantly querying everything that happens. This tends to annoy
>cinemagoers.
>
> > The sound was flat and uninspired. The speakers were the same
JBLs that
>my
> > mate has in his living room, and the screen had poor contrast.
the video
> > jumped and had *horrible* quality problems of floating dust
etc...

> > It's reaching the stage where I find the "big screen"
experience