Re: Homebase Aircon units...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Homebase Aircon units...
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:28:11 -0000

I went into my local Hombase in search of said Aircon unit.

They had one marked down from =A3699 to =A3599.
Looking inside the box revealed that it was the unit in question and=20
I collared a Homebase assistant querying the price. He told me that=20
was the price, I mentioned Andover selling for =A3299 and he suggested=20
I drive to Andover. This gave me two choices....
1. Thump him
2. Ask him to check.

I chose option 2 and he went away. When he returned he said "You're=20
right mate. =A3299 it is." so I bought it.

Having got it home I have discovered 3 things.
1. The indoor unit is too big for my 12x12 lounge. :-(
2. The hoses are not long enough for me to put the outdoor unit where=20
I want, at the height I would have to mount it someone could remove=20
it during the night.
3. The paintwork is slightly damaged on both units.

Because of this I am returning it tomorrow. If someone else on the=20
list wants this one and replies by tomorrow morning it is available=20
for what I paid =A3299. You would have to collect from Great Yarmouth.

I will be returning it by about 10am so replies in a hurry if you=20
want it.=20

Email keith@xxxxxxx

Keith

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@v...>
wrote:
>=20
> Hiya Guys...
>=20
> Well, I can't remember whether he posted on the group or whether he=20
mailed
> me directly but Ian B pointed me in the direction of Homebase in=20
Andover who
> were clearing out some big(ish) split unit air conditioners that=20
they had
> left over. I guess they were selling them off as customers were put=20
off them
> due to their =A3600 asking price and their bulk preferring to go
for=20
the
> smaller and far cheaper "hose out the window" type that they
carry.
>=20
> Anyway, he said there were two left and he got one on Friday=20
evening ... I
> went over this morning and they had found another one (leaving two)=20
and so I
> bought them both - they were knocked down to =A3299 each.
>=20
> Not expecting too much I hooked one up this afternoon and was very
> pleasantly suprised with their performance ... our fairly large=20
living room
> which is roughly 14ft wide by 26ft long with a large open staircase=20
and
> landing was kept nice and cool this afternoon even though it gets=20
the
> afternoon sun and once it had turned a tad chilly after sunset the=20
heating
> capability of the unit was also found to be pretty effective too.
>=20
> They're reasonably quiet ... certainly not inaudiable but not loud=20
enough to
> spoil our movie watching this evening (at neighbour friendly levels=20
as
> they're back today) and at =A3299 have to be counted as a bargain.=20
(At this
> point Li is probably chuckling away to himself as that's what I=20
class most
> things I buy as.)
>=20
> Anyway ... if anyone's interested they're branded as "Gree"
and are=20
pretty
> hefty (they weigh in at 48kgs in the box) but certainly very=20
capable. They
> are a heat pump design and so can be used to heat as well as cool=20
(they
> don't have a heating element but run the compressor "in
reverse")=20
and they
> also have a fan only setting and a de-humidify function. The=20
dehumidify
> function has to be one of the most aggressive I've come across as=20
it's rated
> at 1.6 litres/hr or 36 litres/day ... certainly over the time we=20
were using
> it today it drew a good 1.5 litres of water from the air. They have=20
> 9,000BTU heating/cooling capacity and a three year warranty.
>=20
> I can't remember who it was that was offering to look into Air Con=20
for the
> group but I think you could do far worse than perhaps try to see=20
where these
> are from as I would hope that given Homebases price slash from
=A3600=20
to =A3300
> per unit they're not that expensive if sourced directly.
>=20
> I am certainly impressed by the units ... so much so that I'm=20
tempted to
> hang on to the second one (it was bought for a fellow group member)=20
but I
> know the missus is going to be mad enough when she gets back from=20
South
> Africa and sees one let alone two! I certainly think it's way more=20
than was
> originally required (the reason I bought it was to cool my kids=20
bedroom as
> that bakes in the afternoon/evening already) and I think I might=20
pop back
> tomorrow to Homebase and perhaps get one of the "hose through
the=20
window"
> jobs for his room.
>=20
> I even managed to get a 15% discount on the second unit as it had=20
no box ...
> the customer service guy that I'd been "negotiating" with
gave me a=20
hand out
> to the car with them and when he saw that I had an MX-6 he looked=20
at me as
> if to say how the hell do you intend to get those in there. The one=20
without
> a box went inside the car with the main unit on the back seat and=20
the
> outside unit on the front seat. For the other one I took it out of=20
the box
> and stuck it in the boot - it just fitted. I don't think he was too
> impressed when I asked him if there was a skip that I could dump=20
the box in
> and he did comment on the fact that I'd made quite a fuss about the=20
second
> not being boxed ... ah well ... *grin*
>=20
> Phil