RE: Re: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:05:33 +0100

> > Maybe it should go like that: "Each 'simple' (not
> supporting XLM) device
> > should come with a 'device driver', which is a XML file
specifying
> > operations device can perform. Device driver should include
> > tokenizing table
> > to allow the hub to talk with the device via simplified,
> > 'byte-encoded XML'
> > protocol."
>
> Now we're getting somewhere!

Yes, Yes

> A simple device (eg. light switch, temp. sensor, dimming
> module) can talk
> its own or a common, simple protocol to a controller that
> will understand it
> (eg. light module, dimmer module) for direct control. A SBC,
> PC or other box
> with more processing power/storage that a simple micro
> controller could be
> loaded with a 'device driver' to understand what's going on
> and to provide a
> programmable interface, allowing a UI/whatever to sit on top.
>  I wouldn't
> envisage a lightswitch talking to a PC - probably to a
> controller which

It might, lets extend the light switch to provide some extra features, My
lighting controler allows me to control another lighting controler in a
different room. The idea is at night i am in bed and here a sound outside,
can press a sequence of keys to make my dedside matrix of keys behave like
the martix for the outside lights.

> could then pass through to the PC - that way if the PC
> dies/crashes (for
> Windows users) local control will still be possible as the
> controller will
> be aware of the PC dying and could process the command
> itself.  This way you
> would not be reliant on a PC to provide control.  Of course, if the
> controller died....

John