RE: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?
  • From: "Broadfoot, Kieran J" <Kieran.Broadfoot@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:11:26 +0100

Stuart,

I completely agree however I think XML and its derivatives are very
extensible.  My thinking was that we define a simple communication protocol
which all devices must be able to use, each device then builds on this by
providing the rest of its functionality to the network in XML as well.

A light switch would need to be able to handle the standard protocol such:

Provide Unique Address
Provide Status
etc

The light switch would then inform the console of its other functions:

Status = on, off, 5% on ... 95% on.

Of course the more complex the device the more it will provide but the
protocol becomes more extensible.

I am still tempted to suggest that we use a more complex controller per
room
and use a bus for communication with devices.

Thanks
Kieran

> However, I'm a bit worried that were trying to define a protocol when
we
dont