Re: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Project] XML, Byte Encoded XML, How does it talk ?
  • From: patrickl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:55:26 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Dr John Tankard" <john@t...> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Still not sure about Byte encoded XML any examples ?
>
> Next how do we think the devices will talk to other devices and a
> controller. Are we using a fixed port ? what sort of conversation
do we
> think will take place between devices ?

I "invented" byte coded XML, although it won't win any prizes for
originality.

The idea is simply that there is a pre-determined dictionary of
defined tags (nb tags, not values), which are huffman encoded. Of
course there is scope for dynamic distribution of a dictionary - but
lets not overcomplicate things at this stage.

An xml message is then parsed and recoded substituting a short code
for each tag, resulting in a simplified message which is easier to
parse at the receiving end and more compact to store/send over the
wire. Values are left untouched.

Example:

<operation>
<light
mode=on>
</light>
</operation>

with a dictionary

operation (start tag)=01,
operation (end tag)=02
light (start tag)=03,
light (end tag) =04
mode=05 becomes

01,03,05,"o","n",04,02

Reconstructing the original xml from the octet stream, should it be
required, is trivial.

There are various refinements on this scenario - but it illustrates
the basic concepts.

Patrick