RE: Re: XML & Byte Encoded XML

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: XML & Byte Encoded XML
  • From: "Primoz Gabrijelcic" <gabr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:10:34 +0200

> Can you recomend any good books? I'm eager to learn XML too, but
> there's that many books around, there's bound to be some duff ones.

Sorry, can't. I learned from the magazines (The Delphi Mag, to be specific)
and web (w3.org). Most useful is maybe the Annotated XML Specification -
http://www.xml.com/axml/axml.html.

But basically, if you don't want to mess with DTD's, namespaces etc, XML is
very simple - you just store data as text

<akey>somedata</akey>

or as an attribute

<alarm at="12:01" do="play"
what="sound1.wav"></akey>

which you can simplify to

<alarm at="12:01" do="play"
what="sound1.wav"/>

And you can nest the data

<alarm>
<at>12:01</at>
<do>play</do>
<what>sound1.wav</wav>
</alarm>

And you can do this in any codepage. Unicode is preferred and you can code
it as UTF8 and achieve character-per-byte compression in western europe
(and
only slightly less than that in slavic languages with a latin script).

Primoz