Re: [PROJECT] Project core

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [PROJECT] Project core
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:36:19 +0100

> > One thought on the subject is that we need a group of people to
work
on
> the
> core software to manage these tools.  I was thinking more on the
> discussions
> we had on habuy about the types of hardware and software we were going
> use and it struck me that as with any good open system we should be
> defining
> the methods of communication rather than how it should be implemented.
> As
> such if Andy wants to build LCD panel type things he should be free to
> use
> any type of pic/microprocessor he chooses as long as it is capable of
> receiving commands in a particular format over ethernet.

Yep I agree, talk is cheap producing a list of ideas is the easy part. I
wonder if Mark H's idea of a face to face meet would be the next step a
lot of the groundwork could be done face to face. People with development
kit could bring along the portable bits so others who want to do code can
see the various options. I know getting a date fixed up might be a
problem but it is worth a try.

Back to the underlying compatability of devices, I am worried about the
XML route, mainly because I dont know much about it I might be in the
minority.

If various projects spring up some will be PIC some TINI perhaps some
rabbit or PC based, peoples skills might be low level or high level, I
can see that we are going to have to produce code for lots of platforms.
Are the prople with XML skils going to be happy coding for platforms they
have no intention of using ?

Another approach might be to settle on a bace platform, get the
underlying coms part working and then  split into groups working on
actual projects. We also come to the cost to support the various
platforms are we prepaird to share equipment, it seams daft if we all
rush out and buy ICEPIC's when perhaps people with them could work
removing difficult bugs that can only be found useing ICE.  Also If se
settle on a platform we cousl design standard bace boards and get them
made, of a team member could produce them, its takes much less time if
one member etches 25 cards rather than 25 members each etch different
cards.

Just my 2p

John

John