RE: OT - Recording Phone Calls

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT - Recording Phone Calls
  • From: andy.powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:41:47 +0200

You are both right and wrong here. The key is to Mark saying it was for
his own use - If he intended to disclose it to a 3rd party then he would
have to get the person on the other end's permission.

Taking investment banks as an example: when there is a dispute then each
side listens to their OWN recording to resolve that dispute. If there was
any intention at all to disclose it to a 3rd party then it would be
illegal

An organisation can ONLY record a conversation for one or more of the
reasons below:

to provide evidence of a business transaction
to ensure that a business complies with regulatory procedures
to see that quality standards or targets are being met
in the interests of national security
to prevent or detect crime
to investigate the unauthorised use of a telecom system
to secure the effective operation of the telecom system.

A.

"Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
17/05/2001 14:50
Please respond to ukha_d