Re: Re: Collaborative project and list fragmentation

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: Collaborative project and list fragmentation
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:39:02 +0100

On Thursday 17 May 2001 14:19 pm, you wrote:

> > "free" to mean "freely available" there's no
reason why you can't

> make profit
>
> > from open source software.
>
> Tell us more please

The very first sentence in the very first definition of what makes an open
source project states

"The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
programs from several different sources"

Linux is an open source operating system, but there are several companies
that make a living marketing & selling it (RedHat, Suse etc). It's a
common
misconception that Open Source == Free Gratis.

Sourceforge calls itself "a free service to Open Source
developers". So we
could use it as a an umberella for UKHA collaboration projects without
affecting our ability to turn a profit from our efforts.

Opensource 	www.opensource.org
Sourceforge	www.sourceforge.net