Re: VGA monitor/keyboard switch

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: VGA monitor/keyboard switch
  • From: mail@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:20:27 -0000

The cheapest cables I'd seen were 12 quid a set.  I'm down to about 8
now at Datec http://www.datecsys.co.uk

Why invest in a switch?  Because I want to be able to control 3 Pc's
and maybe more in the future from one kbd/scrn.
Why spend more on an Omnicube?  At the moment the PC of the three
above that receives most use is the least important to automatically
recover after power failure.  Therefore recovery of the others is
important.

I'm not looking to waste money, although SWMBO would disagree!  Which
is why I don't want to spend 20 on a box which won't do the job and
then find I need to spend an additional 80 quid!  Much better to save
the 20 in the first place!

Based on what I have learnt here I will test my Homeseer PC (which is
the only one I care about) and see if it will fire up (or can be made
to) without keyboard attached.  Mouse is unimportant, it currently
doesn't have one, most mod's are done via Netmeeting or the Web
interface.  If it will then I'll plump for the cheap one.

If not then it looks like a smarter switch, the cheapest of which I
have so far come across is the Omnicube at Datec (see above).

Regards

Nick

--- In ukha_d@y..., Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@s...> wrote:
> > fail on restart after power failure because there's no keyboard!
The