Re: OT - Recording Phone Calls

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT - Recording Phone Calls
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:21:09 +0100

It's my understanding that the legal requirement is that at least one party
to the conversation must be aware of any recording of that conversation. It
>is< therefore completely legal to record >your< telephone
conversations,
and you don't >have< to tell the other party.

It becomes illegal only when none of the parties to the call are aware the
call is being recorded, - the idea is to make phone tapping illegal, but
personal recording legal.

I believe Tony Benn recorded every telephone conversation he was ever party
to in this way....

This was my understanding of the legislation as it stood a few years ago,
so
I guess things may have changed... (Alternatively, I suppose I could just
be
completely wrong!)

Paul G.

>From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] OT - Recording Phone Calls
>Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:13:59 +0100
>
>Yeah...thanks.
>
>It's just for my records, not for litigation.
>
>Thanks
>
>M.

Norstar)
>and
> > from that into my PCs sound card so I can record some calls.
> >
> > Anthing available to fit between the handset cord and phone body
for
> > example?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > M.