RE: VGA monitor/keyboard switch

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: VGA monitor/keyboard switch
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:02:10 +0100

Since I wasn't paying too much attention at the beginning of this thread,
are we looking for mouse switching too?

If so, watch out with cheap manual switches. The machine may be happy
enough
starting without a monitor or keyboard attached, but what about Windows? It
won't be happy if the mouse isn't present (if it's a PS/2 or serial mouse)
when it starts up, though the keyboard's not usually a problem.

Something to watch out for if using a more expensive switch for mouse
switching - many of them don't cope with Wheel-mice. Mine certainly doesn't
(which, IIRC, is a SwitchView). The mouse still works but the wheel
doesn't.
Otherwise, I'd certainly recommend a decent active switch - mine is a
4-port
and supports 1280x1024 resolution quite happily using expensive cables.
Trouble is, the total package was nearly 600 quid!

Steve