Re: Collaborative HA Projects

I'm interested in this too, in fact i'm currently working on a server app.
that will accept plugins so as new software/hardware develops a new plugin
can be written and distributed.

If anyone is interested in the programming part, as you've all probably
guessed I'm not and electronics component type...

<duck>
Does this mean another list?
<duck/>

A.

On 16/05/01 at 14:56 Dr John Tankard wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I know we have talked about this before and in principle I was against
the
>idea (because I wanted to make a few quid if my work was any good)
>
>Well I am now coming round to thinking life is two short and that I
will
>never finish the projects I already have. I am sure Keith will agree
that
>with his work on KAT5 it can look like a almost impossible task.
>
>My Ideas have really developed from the way my lighting system has
>developed
>in terms of communication with other things, first my system used just
>RS232
>using a dead simple protocol then I switched to SNAP then a mixture of
>RS232
>and RS485, then two channels of RS485 followed by a short spell of CAN
and
>485 now I am thinking of scrapping it and starting again with TCP/IP.
>
>My reasons are, it is clear that TCP/IP is going to win in the end in
the
>HA
>marketplace, ok Bluetooth has a good chance but the costs of
development
>make it nearly impossible also its short range would not work in my
house
>with 3ft thick walls. Since I started with diy home auto project a lot
has
>changed DDAR has arrived and epods, we have Home Highway or ADSL, many
of
>the HA controllers already have web access (comfort & Homevision
for
>starters) software HA products are mostly IP based a good example of
this
>is
>misterhouse.
>
>I have got the tini java kit but not used it much I am thinking of also
>getting the rabbit development system to enable a quick start up
without
>the
>need to produce a TCP/IP stack from scratch.
>
>I have a few projects in mind.
>
>Does anyone else have a interest in this ?
>
>John

--- Tag-it! v2.0 (c) Andy Powell ,1998,1999,2000...and beyond..

If you do nothing, how do you know when you're finished?