RE: Electronics help with IR TX-RX

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Electronics help with IR TX-RX
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:55:18 +0100

Hi Graham,

I dont have the receiver circuit to hand but the TX  should be fine on
13.8.

The 555 timer used in the receiver has a supply range of 5-15V

The receiver failure is also strange. The TSOP1838 has a supply rating or
3-6V but keep it to 5 for safety. If I remember the circuit correctly there
is a dropper resistor between the 12v supply and the +ve input of the TSOP.
There should also be a 5V1 Zener diode at the input of the TSOP to clamp
the
voltage to 5.1V.

It sounds as if you have made a mistake with the voltage dropper circuit
and
are running the TSOP above its rated voltage. It is probably struggling
with
12v and failing completely at 13.8.

Keith

BTW I do still have TSOP1838's at £1-50 each.

IR